Happy New Year!
- Thank you to all of our parents that helped out with our gift wrapping fundraiser!
- Basketball season kicks off this month for both boys and girls and a schedule of games will be posted soon.
- Our school renovations continue and next up is new carpets in the main office and the bathroom floors will be repainted. Gradually we are replacing items that were lost or damaged during evacuation.
- Our Christmas Concert was a big success and a very entertaining evening.
- Our current breakfast program supplies our students with nutritious items in the morning as they arrive at school (all food items are in “choose most often” category in our School Health and Wellness policy).
- Auditions for Madagascar Musical were held before the Christmas Break and all the roles have been filled. Rehearsals begin this month.
- January 16th is our first school ski day for grade 4, 5 and 6 students. February 1st and February 2nd are the next two ski days.
- The next Family Fun Night is Thursday, January 12th 6 -7 and the theme is “Hockey Night in Thickwood”.
- Taekwondo presentation in school Friday, January 20th 1:30 to 2:30pm.
- Our next monthly Assembly is Tuesday, February 14th at 1:00pm.
- No school on January 13th (PLF) and January 27th (PD day).
- As long as the temperatures remain below -20C we will have inside recess and running club in the mornings; if it warms up we are outside.
- Mrs. Peraino Grade 3 teacher has gone on maternity leave and we will be hiring a temporary teacher until Mrs. Leblanc returns from maternity leave Monday, March 20th.
Our next School Council and PAC meeting is Jan 11th 6:00 to 8:00pm. All parents and guardians are welcome to attend. You can follow us on twitter, Facebook and our school web page (@thickwoodArts; http://thickwood.fmpsdschools.ca).
Helpful Hints for Parents
- Encourage your child to develop a positive outlook toward school.
- Stay in contact with your child’s teachers.
- Attend parent-teacher meetings, school plays, monthly assemblies, and concerts, social and sport events.
- Avoid if possible taking holidays during school time.
- Inform the school in advance of your child’s absence from school.
- Meet or contact school staff when an incident arises in school involving your child.
- Cooperate with the school when solving problems or issues involving your child.
- Watch for changes in your child’s mood or behavior that might suggest problems at school.
- Inform teachers of issues that might affect your child’s progress or behavior.
- Review on a regular basis your child’s homework and assignments, and sign agendas.
- Provide access to reading resources at home.
- Read all communications from the school (includes social media sites).
- Encourage your child to participate in extracurricular activities (inside and outside school). It builds good character.
- Spend time with your child when they come home and ask how they day at school went. Help out with school work if possible.
- We welcome parents to be in the school and encourage you to participate in and attend school functions and events.
- Polite cooperation with all school personnel is essential.
- All visitors must sign in and out at the main office.
- All students have the right to attend school without being afraid or intimidated.
- Harassment of any type (sexual, verbal or physical) and bullying (physical, verbal or via social media) will not be tolerated and dealt with accordingly.
- Clothing, book bags, etc. that display inappropriate language, slogans, pictures or symbols, or anything that might be considered offensive will not be permitted.
- Cell Phones are not to be used in the school and must be kept in backpacks.
- Hats must be removed when you enter the school.
- Bikes and skateboards are not to be ridden on school grounds. Bikes and scooters must be locked in the bike racks.
- Please remember to drive slowly in the school zone.
- Please remember to not drop off students in staff parking or the school bus zone!
- Staff supervision of students at school starts at 8:40am and ends at 3:45pm.
8:50: First Bell
9:00: Announcements and First Class begins
12:20—12:40: Lunch Recess
Please consult your child’s teacher for Kindergarten schedule.
Monday—Friday a.m. 8:50—11:50
Monday—Friday p.m. 12:30—3:30
Council & PAC Dates (6:00 to 8:00)
Monthly Assemblies & Events
Feb 14th Monthly Assembly PM
March 7th Monthly Assembly AM
April 18th Monthly Assembly PM
June 6th Monthly Assembly AM
June 15th Grade 6 Farewell
June 26th Year End BBQ
June 29th Year End Awards Assembly
Family Fun Nights 6:00-7:00
Jan 12th FFN (Hockey)
Feb 9th FFN
April 2nd to April 5th School Production
May 4th FFN (May the 4th be with you!)
June 7th Fine Arts Extravaganza Evening
Reports and PTIs
March 10th Report Cards home
March 16th & 17th Parent Teacher Interviews
May 11th & 12th PATs